Navigating Flood and Water Damage Claims: The Crucial Role of Public Adjusters

When disaster strikes in the form of water damage, the distinction between ‘flood damage’ and ‘water damage’ in your insurance policy is not just a matter of semantics—it’s the defining term that can determine the success of your claim and subsequent recovery. As a property owner, whether residential or commercial, understanding these terms and your coverage is essential, particularly as many carriers are revising the extent of their coverage for water-related losses and the uptick we have seen in denied water loss claims.

So, lets get to what you need to know. Flood damage refers to the inundation of water from natural sources, such as rivers or tidal waters, affecting two or more acres or properties. Standard insurance policies do not cover this type of damage unless you have specific flood insurance, which is generally mandated for properties in designated flood zones. On the other hand, water damage is commonly defined as the destructive processes caused by water entering your property from sources like burst pipes or rain through a damaged roof, which are typically covered losses under most standard insurance policies.

However, it’s important to note that insurers are increasingly limiting their exposure to water damage claims. Coverage nuances, such as the classification of the type water damage, the source of the water, and the duration of the water exposure can drastically affect the extent of your coverage. This is where a Public Adjuster becomes indispensable. These professionals are trained at scrutinizing your insurance policy’s language to confirm coverage and can guide you through the intricacies of filing a claim that aligns with the specific wording of your policy and the facts of the specific event.

Public Adjusters play a pivotal role, particularly when you own multiple properties. For those not residing full-time in these properties, it’s critical to be aware that some insurance policies might have different requirements or reduced coverage for non-primary residences.

In conclusion, the expertise of a Public Adjuster is crucial in the assessment and filing of flood and water damage claims. They are your advocates, armed with an understanding of the latest trends and changes in insurance policies, who can diligently work to ensure that your claim is accurately presented and that you receive the maximum entitlement under your policy. Whether safeguarding a single-family home or a portfolio of properties, a Public Adjuster is your strategic partner in navigating the complexities of water damage and your insurance policy. After you call your plumber to stop the water, your second call should be to Skipton and Associates, Inc. (your public adjuster)

Justin R. Skipton, AIC, SPPA
For Skipton and Associates, Inc.